Thinking about Self Belief
It is important to believe in ourselves and others. This is called ‘self belief.’ This is not just about feeling good about yourself but also having the inner confidence to believe that there are things we can do to make a difference. Having self-belief and knowing we have strengths to draw on in times of challenge can help situations feel less stressful, and more manageable. This is an important factor for our mental wellbeing.
Listen to this story of the Hare and The Tortoise
Questions to think about:
• Why did the tortoise succeed - is he really faster than the hare?
• What did the tortoise do to make the most of his strengths?
• Can you think of a time when you faced something tricky and weren’t sure how it would turn out, but you gave it a go and did the very best you could?
• In the story there were some things the tortoise could control and some things he couldn’t. Can you think what they might be?
Sometimes things happen that are out of our control, and this can make us feel big emotions like helplessness, fear and anxiety.
Recently we had no control over some things such as;
• The instructions from the government e.g. to close schools, to physical distance, to work from home.
• How the virus spread.
• How other people behaved.
At such times it is important to remember the things that we can control, and the strengths and the skills we can draw on to make a difference.
During the last few weeks we have seen people make a difference by:
• Volunteering and helping others e.g. staying in touch with vulnerable people.
• Using their skills to do different things such as making equipment, delivering food etc.
• Thinking about their own behaviour and doing things to make the most of their skills and learn new ones e.g. baking new dishes, reading different books, practicing a new exercise routine
In your blended learning book write or draw one of your strengths. This could be a skill or strength you have practiced recently, or a new one you have discovered.
Take a picture and email to Miss Wilkinson on Purple Mash
So thinking about Self Belief and returning back to school. Have a go at completing these questions with the help of an adult if you can.