What made the Roman Army so successful in battle?
-Identify key words
('What'tells me I am finding a reason)
- Scan for 'Roman Army', 'successful' or 'battle' in the text. I also may need to look for words with similar meanings or link to the topic of the question.
- Read the information/section to see if you have found an answer to your question.
- If you have, record the answer in note form.
Now I can answer my question in note form.
Why were the Roman Army so successful in battle?
- highly trained and well-organised
- moved together with their shields overlapping to protect themselves
- skilled in fighting and laying siege to enemy camps
- to fight well they were split into cohorts